Obtaining a Firearm Purchase Certificate


When firearm permits are required
Nebraska residents who wish to purchase, lease or receive a firearm are required to obtain a firearm purchase certificate, according to Nebraska Statute 69-2403.The law applies to both retail and private party transactions, and it prohibits selling, leasing, renting or transferring a firearm to a person who does not possess a handgun certificate.

A certificate is not required if:

  • The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer;
  • The handgun is an antique;
  • The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;
  • The transfer is temporary and the transferee remains within (a) in the line of sight of the transferor or (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or
  • The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.


Where and how to apply in this area

Applicants may apply in person at the law enforcement agency that is in their jurisdiction. For example, residents of the City of Grand Island may apply at the Grand Island Police Department. Hall county residents who live outside Grand Island city limits may apply at the Hall county Sheriff’s Office. Applicants must currently be local residents.


Age requirement

To obtain a handgun purchase certificate, you must be at least 21 years of age.


Documents and fee requirements
·       Current Nebraska operator’s (driver’s) license or a Nebraska state ID card or a Military ID card. The ID card must have your correct legal name. The address on your ID card must be current and match the address on the application. If your only form of ID is a Military ID card, you must also provide two forms of proof of residency (such as a utility bill, vehicle registration, pay stub, etc.) with your current address.
·       Application fee of $5.00
·       Applicants born on a U.S. military base outside the U.S. must provide their birth certificate.

·       Applicants born outside the U.S. must also provide a copy of their citizenship papers, U.S. passport or alien resident card.


Reasons for denial
Applications will be denied if the applicant:
·       Fails to answer all questions on the application
·       Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year
·       Is a fugitive from justice
·       Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance
·       Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution
·       Is an alien unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa
·       Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
·       After having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship
·       Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner
·       Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

·       Is under indictment or information (i.e. charges have been filed in court) for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.


Renewing your certificate
Certificates are valid statewide for three years from the date they are issued, at which time applicants must reapply for a new certificate. All documentation above is required at this time regardless of whether a certificate has been issued to the applicants in the past.